2006-09-21

You know you're in trouble when Cory Feldman thinks you should have an intervention

The other day I stumbled upon what I thought was a disturbing trend.

Teachers.
The high amount of people I went to school with that have become teachers. I can count 5 or 6 without thinking about it. I think they will all be good at it, but missing something.

Back in my day, teachers were people who had life experience, & told stories about it almost every day.

They wrote books, built pools, escaped a DUI conviction, had a student-teacher sex scandal, got high on history, and appeared on jeopardy.

You could learn more from listening to their stories than the actual material being taught in class.

Now it seems everyone I know becoming a teacher has never left school. They went from high school, right into university, and right back to school for work. I'm sure they have gathered life experience, well drinking experience, while in university.

Don't get me wrong, a career of always being in school has advantages. Like never working a summer or weekend, & "I get older, they stay the same age."

Anyway this trend bothered me until I remembered a key factor. All of us have heard a line like this from a parent about one of our teachers; "(enter name here)! He/She couldn't teach a dog how to shit." or a reference about them being an alcoholic. So I guess things will pretty much work out to being the same.

I look forward to some interesting parent-teacher meetings when I'm older. "Hey do you remember when we used to try and set this classroom on fire?" or "You were pretty drunk at the BHT the other weekend, was that a student you were with?"

On a side note, as discussed with Andrew, it's been a long time since M.Leblanc has been seen out drinking, or out doing anything anywhere. My theory is, with all the history being made in the middle east these days, he is home taping CNN 24/7 and writing his own textbook, titled "Getting High on History"

I hope to get a signed copy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask the other day who Corey Feldman thinks needed the intervention. If its anyone other than Cory Haim I will be greatly disappointed.

Also regarding the whole teacher/student turnover thing...remember the "new" teachers that were coming in as we were graduating? The R. Stewarts and such? They were roughly 10 years older than us, so it would be like us teaching the 15 year olds now....I dont know if this can be confirmed or not, but one of those people, who are now "seasoned" or just about there must be turning into the next gen Beeker, Glynn, Bryan, PToz, M LeBlanc, Mr. C and such.

If not its a sad sad day if they still all act like they do when they started....except for The Dragon...he could even teach ME math...right out of teacher school.

Also, I have no idea how the new wave of teachers can put up with how the current HS girls dress. 701 and Im not talking about Levis!

Anonymous said...

It was indeed Cory Haim during filming of License To Drive.

I think those teachers who were new when we were there are becoming seasoned, a few of them(including The Dragon) wrote/released a book together last year, an adult book. I cannot find any links refering to it on the internet, but saw it on cable 10 news.

Anonymous said...

Seriously. And high school girls are just so much hotter than those of us in our 20s, because I know I'm not just speaking for myself when I say I'm getting fat. Like seriously so, even in the past month. It's disturbing. And as they said in Clerks II....high school girls will do anything!

Anyway, apart from the insane skankiness... yes it is weird to think of our contemporaries teaching high school, and I never really thought of it that way but wow do we ever have nothing to offfer students when we go into teaching right after school. I mean university for me really hasn't been that different from high school, and theoretically I've learned a lot but you really do need to live it too.

I've been fortunate - and I really feel that way - to pay for so many things myself and work so many jobs. But a lot of people I graduated with never paid a cent the whole time they were here. Their parents paid for everything and gave them spending money on top of that. They never really got the experience of bills or rent or anything like that. And it's definitely disheartening to think about them going for their BEds on scholarship and turning around and teaching high schoolers with absolutely no conception of the way the majority of the world works. :/

Who else is teaching at MV now apart from Brandon Savage?

Anonymous said...

WHAT IN THE FUCK!?

I didnt know that, I just assumed all my old friends died or something. At least he still will be popular with the beach parties.

Anonymous said...

two words: FRANK McKIBBON

Anonymous said...

Couldn't have said it better, most of them will probably have to retake that class CA Underhill taught about managing money and living on your own. I forget the name of that class, or if it was even real? Maybe it was just my grade 10 homeroom.

I don't know of any others working at MV, most seem to be doing the elementary schools or junior high for now --- Bonus points for the other high school girl movie quote reference. Back in the day the girls I went to school with would be sent home to change if they wore what the h-s girls of today get away with.

"At least he still will be popular with the beach parties."


He will probably become the Donald Sutherland univ. prof type character from Animal House who smokes pot with the students, only instead of being in a house, they gather for a bonfire on the beach.

"FRANK McKIBBON"


I wonder if anyone refers to him as 'Frank The Tank'

Anonymous said...

Oh man, it's such a wake-up call...I can think of a few people I went to school with elsewhere who ended up teaching. It's like "we're that old?"

I totally agree with you about life experience: I think it's something partially related to how adolescence is lasting longer (I've heard it actually lasts until 25 now), with people supposedly waiting until later to do a lot of the things associated with adulthood (which in turn seems to be related to the baby-boomers' refusal to 'get old'). People did more by 24/25 in earlier times, it seems.

And at the same time, younger people are both more immature and more ahem..."worldly" now. Where did society go wrong?

Anonymous said...

With one ends refusal to get old, and one with a refusal to grow up, this should make for an interesting scene in about 10-15 years.

And for your rethoric "Where did society go wrong?" I can only give this answer: "The cancellation of Small Wonder".

Anonymous said...

Seeing as I was one of the Know-nothings mentioned in this list, thought I'd weigh in.

The teachers we had started teaching a one point, too. They were fresh out of University, young, nervous, and light on the experience side. They aged. They married. They divorced. Then they became what you remembered.

Many of the young teachers do have some living to do, yes. But that will come. What they offer now IS their youth. Their energy, their ability to connect with students. They'll season. Just give them time.

And yes, some of them did call me Frank the Tank.